6.05.2008

Two Weeks after... an update!

Sorry, I haven't updated on my Dad lately, and I have people asking..

Yes he is home, he came home a week ago Thursday. He called to let me know he was on the way home, and called again Friday morning to report that he had slept in their bed, and slept great!

This heart surgery is what he really needed!! He bounced back wonderfully. I talked with him on the phone tonight, and he said that he feels great. The problem with his stomach is gone. It was his heart the whole time. Its just a sad case as he was misdiagnosed, he didn't have what they determined him to have. And I'm so grateful to the Mayo Clinic staff in Rochester for getting to the bottom of this whole situation!

And to think we were in Rochester two weeks ago, dreading the worst. And here he is.. attending his 4th meeting in a week! He will start Cardiac Rehab next week, and walk the treadmill. He said tonight, that he hasn't needed to use his heart pillow when he coughs. He still cant drive... my mom piped up in the background... she is counting the days... 13. He feels alot better than he did the last time he had the valve replacement surgery. He was told that this surgery would be more stress on his body, but it doesn't seem to be that way.

Thanks to everyone that have sent their comments and thoughts! Means the world! Now we are in the planning stages of planning a benefit for my Dad (on Sept. 13th - at the Winchester Town Hall.. more details soon). From his first hospital stay in Mayo, the bill was $71,000 for 15 days of care. And his insurance will cover 90%. And to think of what this next bill for the stay and surgery will be - (I'm guessing $200,000 plus!). My parents have to pay their own insurance, since my dad was forced into retirement, under the cobra insurance. He did sign up for Social Security, but that just covers the insurance premium.

So every night I go to bed, and I thank the heavens for the wonderful work the DRs and Nurse did to get my dad back out there, and on with life.

6 comments:

Kendra said...

I've been following the story about your Dad since I came across your blog a few weeks ago. So glad to hear he's doing well! He looks great! Hope his rehab goes well and he gets back to his normal lifestyle quickly!

Nic said...

I'm glad to hear your dad is doing okay - he looks an awful lot better in this pic!

The bill sounds scary, but you can't put a price on being well. I'm just relieved that in the UK we have free healthcare at point of delivery ...

Vonna Pfeiffer said...

Hurray! I'm glad he's doing well too! He looks great in the photo!

Anonymous said...

I have been meaning to comment for ages, sorry.

I agree with Vonna, your Dad looks like a million bucks (literally, ha!). Really, he looks like he feels great.

So glad that they were able to figure it all out. Perseverance is worth it.

And your most recent quilt is stunning. Great job!

: )

staci said...

So so glad that your dad is home and doing well!

Irene said...

Your Dad looks like he is doing very well, glad to hear it.

LinkWithin

Related Posts with Thumbnails