I was hired out to make a quilt using cross stitch designs.
I used 12 different colored Moda Marble fat quarters - coordinating the fabric to the stitching on the blocks.
As for the blocks - I used a setting like the Happy Hour pattern book I have here. What I did was I measured each the width and length of the block, and then I subtracted from 9.5" (since I wanted a 9" block). When I had the block borders sewn on on all sides, I took my 9.5" square ruler, and sorta "played" with how I wanted to cut out the blocks to be the right size. As you can see, they are set in different arrangements within the block. Ok, I think that sounded confusing, but I like the outcome!
Yesterday I sat down and sewed all the blocks into their rows, put on the borders. Went to go and get my batting (was just going to use my own batting - as I knew I had more of it). Well the piece I was going to use had a big chunk taken out of it. So it was off to Wardo's for more batting. I got home, and I just plugged away on it till it was done. I just did a simple quilting on it. Its just straight lines thru out. The main focus of the quilt is the blocks - not the quilting..LOL I did use a variegated thread on it for the quilting, and I think that really made it pop. The hand stitching on the binding went quick, even!
Now the quilt is boxed up, and will be on its way to its new home in a few.